Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Soup of the Evening

Beautiful Soup, so rich and green,
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!
Lewis Carroll

Here is the Soup (so rich and green):


...and here is the Evening:


Our Soup of the Evening was Curried Split Pea, a variation of Curried Green Lentil Soup (pictured last month on T's Daily Treasures, who got the recipe from The Cilantropist [great name!], who adapted it from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson. Whew.)


Topped with fresh cilantro (coriander) and generous amounts of crumbled feta, with fresh homemade bread on the side, it was indeed beautiful; also spicy, hearty, and filling. Click here for Cilantropist's recipe.


P.S. I used butter rather than coconut oil for sauteing (couldn't bring myself to spend $9-$12 on a jar of organic coconut oil), and scaled back on the red pepper flakes, as I don't like excessive heat. (Even with half the red pepper, it was pretty spicy.) Other than that I followed the recipe as given, using homemade chicken stock as a base.

Will I make it again? Oh, yes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

14 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds so good! T's blog is awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that looks good....I really should make some of my own soup, what could be better.

    The moody colours in the sky are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very delicious. The soup. And the evening photo, both. :-)

    Oh wow do I ever miss things like that hearty loaf of real bread, beside the soup. -pout- In my present G/F necessity. Oh well, I got to enjoy it, for many years, before this happened. :-)

    "The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."

    ~Joseph Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made so many soups this winter that I am now craving smoked salmon and salads...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm-mmm-mmm! I love homemade soup, too. And about that evening sky - last night when I let Oscar out into the back yard, I looked up and could see (even at 9pm) all those clouds drifting, with breaks where the sky - and stars! - shone through. It was extraordinarily beautiful. We must have had the same sky last night! I need to figure out a way to take pictures in the dark, because I would have loved to share that sight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks delicious. We may have more soup weather tomorrow night, so I might just have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks and sounds good, except for the cilantro, I'm afraid I belong to I Hate Cilantro Fan Club. It tastes like a musty basement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum !!! This I must try. It really does look wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good. I think I'd have to top it off with a few chopped Peanuts of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmmmmm!!!! That looks yummy!!! You've captured so many of my favorite flavors in one pot!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Mrs Micawber,
    I have inadvertently used your image of split green peas on my blog (lunchforfreeatwork.blogspot.co.uk) - I didn't realise where it had come from till I searched for it again to use on my Google+ profile. Is it OK for me to use? I will of course acknowledge where it came from. Lovely blog by the way!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....