Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Busy Week and a Very Cold Walk

How was your Christmas? Wonderful, I hope. Mine was one of the busiest ever, right up to the day and beyond (which is my only excuse for not posting sooner).

Christmas Eve morning Mr. M and I sat down to listen, as usual, to the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge. (I thought of all the bloggy friends across the pond who might also be listening, and sent you warm thoughts for a Happy Christmas.) Then it was back to the tasks at hand. At 11:40 pm on Christmas Eve I was still putting the last stitches into the last project ... and at 6:30 Christmas morning it was time to get up and start cooking all the things I hadn't yet had time to cook.

Some of my favourite Christmassy things....

Looking into the empty (and tidy!) living room on Christmas morning, knowing that soon it would be full of laughter and loved ones.


A tree hung with ribbons and joy...


...and glass and beads and crochet:




And more beads.


 Homemade honey caramelcorn:


(You can keep your Christmas cookies and cake. Just give me a few gallons of this stuff and I'm a happy camper.)

A small niece who was suddenly old enough to play after-dinner word games with the grownups:


A busy day but a good one.

Thursday was spent in visiting friends and family, and Friday it was back to work. On Saturday things began (finally!) to slow down, and on Sunday I took a Very Cold Walk.

~ ~ ~

After some beautifully balmy days in the 20s and 30s, temps have plunged and are heading for below zero. It's about 10º F when I leave for my walk, but the bitter northwest wind is making it feel much colder.

Oak leaves still cling to a few trees at the park entrance, giving a false impression of autumn:


This is a much more accurate picture: frozen pond, snowy ground, and dried grasses under an icily bright sky:


Pine needles against the blue:


A pine cone lies in the crusted snow at my feet:


These are all the pictures I can bear to take - the wind is punishingly cold. It's time to head home and fill up with hot chocolate against the sub-zero week ahead.

I hope it's warmer where you are! :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

18 comments:

  1. Today we sat on the front veranda in the midday sun and complained that our arms were burning through our long sleeved shirts. But last night the birdbath froze to an ice skating rink for the red cardinals. Oh the joys of living in southwest Louisiana! Linda@Wetcreek Blog. Happy New Year, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a wonderful Christmas. Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year....filled with loads of hooky fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised your camera tolerated that cold so well.

    It is indeed warmer where I am, thankfully. But, I do believe snow makes Christmas much more merry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It appears you had a joyful Christmas. That honey caramel corn looks yummy.
    Yes get ready for the Arctic express headed this way too!
    Happy New Year and stay warm...
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a very beautiful, if chilly, walk. It's much milder where I am, but very wet and windy so we're actually getting out for walks less than if it were cold, and the Boy is bouncing off the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it looks cold but very beautiful. I love your house and I love the garland with the stars and your Christmas tree! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sue, Happy you and your family had a lovely Christmas. It has been awhile since my visit but I am catching up.. I truly enjoyed reading your blog over the last year and your photos were all wonderful.. I would like to wish you and your family a Very Happy and Healthy New Year. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home looks lovely all decorated for Christmas. Glad you had a good holiday.
    You were brave to venture out in the cold for a walk. The dog and I went out last week, he loved it.It took me a while to get warm again. LOL Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you had a good Christmas Sue, wishing you a Happy New Year and all the very best for 2014. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, your Christmas sounds picture perfect. And might I add that niece of yours is darling. Stay warm my friend.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. I listened to that programme too, and I thought of you. Glad you had a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such warming and beautiful Christmas shots Sue, the weather here is wet and blustery, no sign whatsoever of snow. it sure looks freezing where you are, perfect excuse for hot chocolates. I love the look of the yummy popcorn, oh dear I feel a craving coming on ;o) wishing you and your family a wonderful, happy and healthy new year xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness …Happy new Year to you
    (I Have to use your line my knitty kitties!! I love that!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue, that photo of the pine cone is a masterpiece! You have such a beautiful place, there! How cute is your young niece, trying to fit in with the "big kids". Just wonderful.

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I watched Carols from King's College, Cambridge. Just lovely! Since I got a more up to date TV connection which became available over here, I can get all the lovely programmes from my home country!
    I like your photo of the pine cone in the icy looking snow! Keep warm and have a wonderful New Year!
    So nice to pop in to your place!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great PIC, makes a lovely new banner...it is definitely colder with you, we've just got wind and rain in bucket loads, we have a few leaks too, but nothing too serious.

    Your Christmas sounded lovely, I took five minutes whilst cooking Christmas morning to sew ends in on a scarf for my hubby....I don't think I will ever not do stuff like that. We went to the local church on Christmas eve so the boys could take part in the children's crib service, but I was more than a bit disappointed when the visiting vicar told us not to stand during the carols....what??! I thought the singing was very lacklustre because of it.

    It has been lovely seeing your season through your photos, so much more pronounced than here...I've decided to do a temperature blanket starting on the 1st, I hope we have a freaky temp year for design sake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brrrr, it does look cold outside with you, but your house looks lovely and warm and welcoming. I enjoy all the little peeks into other peoples houses that blogging affords.
    All the best to you for 2014!
    Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for a year of wonderful blog posts! It is always so much fun to tag along with you as you and Miss T have your adventures. I love your photos and your words always inspire. Happy New Year! Wishing you a year filled with much joy and creativity....you inspire me with your awesomeness! Yep, there, I went and said it! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....